Stable long-lived states were created not only by great nations (Russian, American, Chinese, etc.). In Finland, for example, people live on barren land, inspired only by the strength of their national identity. There is also an outstanding example in the former USSR, Armenia. The tiny country with almost no resources of its own, while in the blockade, was able to win the war with apparently stronger Azerbaijan.
Great historical traditions may also contribute to the sustainability of the state.
The military or nation-building ability of the Italians can only bring about a sarcastic smile, but the shadow of the Great of Rome was quite enough to create a successful country.
Here is the basis of statehood of Subcarpathian Rus:
1. We have experience of statehood and clearly defined borders, enshrined in international documents.
2. The idea of Subcarpathian Rus has passed the test of time and practice.
3. Advantageous geopolitical location of Subcarpathian Ruthenia guarantees an advantageous state budget of the Republic in the future.
4. In Subcarpathian Ruthenia, in spite of permanent crisis, people have always lived in relative prosperity (above average compared to other regions). People have always found ways to survive by themselves. Subcarpathian Ruthenians refuse to get involved in illegal activities, like traffic of drugs and people, (due to innate high moral standards).
5. 70% of the population lives in villages. Villagers have been preserving Subcarpathian Rus FROM EVERYTHING, - an assimilation, crises and other harm brought by "newcomers" and "uninvited guests", (by their way of life and traditions).
6. Ukraine has not yet disproved the legal justification for statehood of the Republic of Subcarpathian Ruthenia. I.e. silence gives consent. At the same time, Ukraine does not have legal title to the "territory of the Ruthenians to the south of the Carpathians".
After 1 December 2008, State of Subcarpathian Rus was re-established.
7. 90% of the population of Subcarpathian Ruthenia are Ruthenians, Hungarians, and Romanians, who have lived together nearly a thousand years. These people live in symbiosis with each other’s customs, languages and culture.
8. Ruthenian cluster (about 3 million) continues to perceive itself an indivisible part of all Ruthenian ethnicity, which from time immemorial inhabited the southern slopes of the Carpathians, and because of international political combinations were divided between the neighbouring Central European countries. Ruthenians themselves were left without their own national state.
In addition, it should be emphasized, that the definition of Carpathian Rus is rather historic, cultural, and conditional, while Subcarpathian Rus has its political structure, its experience of statehood, its territory and borders, secured in many documents.
There is an enormous amount of ethnic self-identifications in the world. The smaller the ethnos, the easier it is for them to embark on the path of counter-modernism. The larger the ethnos, the worse it is for them in the coming era. Large national states, where there are almost no authentic tribes left, will fall apart into "tribes" inventing "bandana", or "tartan", i.e. identity. Ruthenians do not need to invent anything; we have everything. Ruthenians have their thousand-year history, their language, their traditions, and most importantly, their motherland.
Endurance of Subcarpathian Ruthenians is obviously stronger than the rest of Ruthenian sub-ethnoses because they densely live in native Ruthenian land on the southern slopes of the Carpathians, where until now they have been preserving authentic Ruthenian traditionalism. Since for the Ruthenians Ukrainians proved hostile, and an artificial Ukrainian identification for the Rusyns worldwide is helpless, the most simple and organic way to preserve the Ruthenian people is a national state. All Ruthenian identifications will be much more likely to survive in such state, which is why the Republic of Subcarpathian Rus could and might even be doomed to become such a unifying state for all Ruthenians worldwide.
No Carpathian Ruthenians (American Ruthenians, Ruthenians from Priachev, Bachvanian Ruthenians in the Balkans, Ruthenians from Maramorosh, Hungarian Ruthenians, Hutsuls and Boyks form Halychyna, Polish Lemks) are State-constituent.
Therefore, one must be realistic and work on the overall result for all Ruthenians.
Carpathian Ruthenia remains a unifying symbol of our history. Ruthenians worldwide can only get moral support and the centre of “spiritual gravity” in Subcarpathian Rus.
"Managing" Ruthenians from Canada or Russia is a doubtful prospect.